... And What Happened Next
The military left Grenville in 1947, though the fort was not used for military purposes in the Second World War. It was occupied, however: families flleeing the bombing of Plymouth were housed here in 1940. Not the best possible location for traumatised, bombed-out Plymothians - the fort was right on the flight path of the incoming bombers, and several explosive loads fell around it, including significant damage to the villages of Cawsand and Millbrook on either side,. The addition of a heavy anti-aircraft battery further up the hill, firing into the night sky immediately over the fort, would have added to the enjoyment.
After 1947, the fort fell into dereliction. It was left open, and at some time in the 1960s was comprehensively looted. TYhis was when all the flooors, woodwork, slate roof and windows were taken away, buy person or persons unknown, leaving the shell of the bbuilding as we see it today.
But not quite as we see it! Over recent decades, Grenville has been tenanted by a series of people, and used for a huge range of things:
-- A rabbit and poultry farm
-- A store for old cars
-- A store and repair yard for hire boats and canoes
-- Temporary accommodation, in caravans squeezed through the entrance arch